The Humane Society of Sarasota County has a new home! The original building that housed staff and our beloved four-leggeds awaiting adoption was old and beginning to fall apart. It finally came down in late April and staff moved into the new facility in January of this year…they have officially opened to the public!
Humane Society’s Expansion
With the shelter renovation, they can care for 103 dogs and 72 cats each day. On average, they have up to 50 available for adoption at one time.
Once the education center is built, the entire facility will represent 37,513 square feet compared to the 18,000 square feet in the old structures.
Anna Gonce, Executive Director has shared that the expansion and renovation project will solidify the Humane Society of Sarasota County’s place as not only the area’s premier no-kill shelter but as a leader in the State. And this is extremely important because, sadly, Florida is the 4th worst state in the country – based on the number of dogs and cats killed in animal shelters. Last year, more than 45,000 pets died in animal shelters across the State of Florida. HSSC believes they have an obligation to lead efforts in the State to save as many animals as we can.
New Facility Features
- An education & training center to hold humane education programs, trainings, workshops, and events.
- Creation of a new welcome center and adoption area with an inviting reception area that will funnel visitors to the cat and dog areas and provide ample space for completing adoptions.
- Cozy meet-and-greet rooms for potential adopters to spend time getting to know their future pets.
- Cutting-edge cat wing featuring two -story indoor/outdoor patios for safe access to fresh air and nature.
- Featured pet area to give maximum exposure to animals needing a little extra help finding their forever homes.
- Four dog pods with indoor/outdoor access for every dog and multiple shaded and covered play yards to provide safe recreation for shelter dogs of all sizes, and an agility play yard to promote exercise and fun.
- Industry-standard upgrades to water access, drainage, flooring, sanitation, acoustics, ventilation, and holding areas will promote wellness, reduce animal stress, and prevent the spread of disease.
- Laundry, grooming, enrichment, and food preparation stations situated by the animal areas they serve to streamline operations.
- Centrally located room where volunteers can rest, recharge, and regroup.
Humane Society of Sarasota Country
As a private, nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization, the Humane Society of Sarasota Country relies solely on donations from individuals, organizations, and corporations. HSSC receives no federal funding, nor are we funded by any national humane organization. Every donation serves a purpose and is used to help HSSC fulfill our mission to engage the hearts, hands and minds of the community to help animals.
We have name opportunities available for anyone interested in supporting our capital campaign. We also have Legacy Pavers available for a $500 contribution. Limited quantities are available.
Contact Autumn Steiner at email@example.com for more information
Completion target date is June 2021…but we’re open now and look forward to your visit!
Photos from Christine Baer – Factual Data provided by HSSC