Nathan Benderson Park Named Top Rowing Venue in North America
A Rowing News reader poll put Nathan Benderson Park atop a list of 10 notable rowing facilities across the continent. The list also included the hallowed Schuylkill River in Philadelphia and Charles River in Boston, as well as Saratoga Springs, N.Y., Lake Natoma near Sacramento, Calif., and St. Catharines/Port Dalhousie, Ontario.
Nathan Benderson Park Tops the List:
- Nathan Benderson Park, Sarasota-Bradenton, Fla.
- Montlake Cut on Lake Washington, Seattle
- Lake Natoma, Sacramento, Calif.
- Melton Lake, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- St. Catharines/Port Dalhousie, Ontario
- Charles River, Boston
- Schuylkill River, Philadelphia
- Cooper River, near Pennsauken, N.J.
- Tennessee River, outside Chattanooga
- Fish Creek, Sarasota Springs, N.Y.
Honorable mentions: Mission Bay, San Diego; Lake Lanier, Ga.; Redwood Shores, San Francisco
- Park visitors are reminded to practice safe social distancing, to remain home if they have any signs of illness, and to wash their hands regularly with soap and water. All park restrooms remain open, and an amplified cleaning schedule remains in place. High-contact areas and touchpoints continue to be regularly disinfected throughout the day.
- The Ronald A. Balducci Playground is open during regular park hours (6 a.m.-8 p.m.), but hour-long closures at 8 a.m., noon, and 4 p.m. allow crews to clean playground equipment.
- As a reminder, only electric boat motors are authorized in our waters; gas motors must be raised to indicate they aren’t in use. (This is in accordance with Sarasota County ordinances.)
MAJOR EVENTS AHEAD
- NCAA Rowing National Championships — May 28-30, 2021, and May 27-29, 2022, for Divs. I, II and III
- USRowing Youth National Championships — June 2021
- U.S. Dragon Boat Federation National Championships – July 9-11, 2021
- International Dragon Boat Federation Club Crew World Championships — Coming in 2022
Photo courtesy of Nathan Benderson Park Facebook page