In an effort to promote the diversity of beaches around Sarasota County, Visit Sarasota County (VSC) has developed a new feature on its app called the “Sarasota Beach Pass.” The program allows app users to browse, learn about and explore 20 of the area’s beaches. Once at a beach on the list, users can check in to unlock the three various levels and exclusive prizes. The Beach Pass is free to use via the Visit Sarasota app, which can be downloaded from The Apple Store or Google Play.
Originally guided by the 2020-2025 Destination Strategic Plan, VSC began developing the Beach Pass gamification aspect of its app in October 2020. It took a little more than a year to gather information and images, build out the app feature and website aspects, build a marketing plan, create marketing assets, troubleshoot, etc. The Beach Pass launch is official as of February 1, 2021 and is supported by a robust marketing campaign.
“While the Beach Pass was concepted prior to COVID-19 to promote the diversity of our beaches, the timing of this guide could not be better,” said Virginia Haley, President of VSC. “Beach goers are especially interested in less crowded spaces and the message to ‘discover secret beaches’ will be well-received. Our hope is both visitors and locals use the Beach Pass to find a new favorite beach and win the fun prizes.”
The Beach Pass is essentially a guide to Sarasota County beaches, which span 35+ miles of coastline and offer a variety of qualities and amenities, fit for each personality. Enjoy the water by swimming, boating, or something more adventurous like parasailing, and dig your toes into the different types of sand to activate vacation (or staycation) mode!
How to Play
- Download the Visit Sarasota App from Google Play or The Apple Store
- Tap to select the Beach Pass along the bottom of the app. You will be prompted to create a login if you do not have one already. This will be your email address (and you will have to determine a password).
- Discover and explore area beaches on the Beach Pass list. There are 20 beaches listed throughout Sarasota County. The Pass will sort by proximity. Tap the name of a beach to learn more about it and get directions.
- If you want to earn prizes, “Check In” to beaches on the Beach Pass list. (To Check In, click “Beach Check In”. The app will refer to your GPS location to check in. You must be within a mile of the address listed for each beach in order to check in to that beach.)
- Check in to a total of 1 beach to reach the first level; 5 beaches to reach the second level; and 10 beaches to reach the third and final level.
Levels and Prizes
- Level 1 – Dipping Your Toes in the Water! Once you check in to 1 beach, you’re eligible for a coupon to an area restaurant!
- Level 2 – Making Waves! Once you check in to 5 beaches, you’re eligible for a Sarasota Area Swag Bag, including a Visit Sarasota-branded drawstring bag, sunglasses, lip balm and more!
- Level 3 – Final Level – Life’s A Beach! Once you check in to 10 beaches, you’re eligible for an exclusive Sarasota Beach Pass Ambassador prize package – which only Level 3 achievers receive! This includes a custom-designed 24 oz. Tervis Tumbler water bottle, made locally in Sarasota County and worth $25! You’ll also receive an eco-friendly Visit Sarasota-branded lunchbox. A true starter kit for life at the beach (or at least meals at the beach!).
How to Claim Your Prizes*
Stop by our Downtown Sarasota Visitor Center and show the Beach Pass Check-In.
Our Downtown Sarasota Visitor Center is located inside the Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce building at 1945 Fruitville Rd, Sarasota, FL 34236. To reach the Visitor Center by phone, dial 941-706-1253.
*While supplies last.
The Visit Sarasota County “Sarasota Beach Pass” is sponsored by Tervis. For more information, visit our website.
About Visit Sarasota County
Visit Sarasota County leads and supports the tourism industry in Sarasota County by providing the highest quality, and most innovative, marketing programs and promotions to ensure the continued growth of tourism and travel from visitors around the world. The mission of VSC is to make Sarasota County a better place by promoting our community on the world stage. To learn more, visit www.visitsarasota.com.
Photo gallery with images of Sarasota County Beaches, the Beach Pass on a phone, the custom Tervis Tumblers and more.
Video showing how to use the Sarasota Beach Pass.
Photos courtesy of Britney Guertin