The Pros And Cons Of Using FIBC Bags For Your Business
When managing a business, you’ll be required to package and transport your products. For years, businesses have used rigid containers such as bulk boxes to pack and move products. But as your business advances, using these inflexible containers to package your goods might be impractical.
Thus, there’s a need to use a more effective container to transport your goods. Enter flexible intermediate bulk container (FIBC) bags. These flexible bags have played a huge role in revolutionizing how businesses store and transport their products.
This blog discusses what you need to know about FIBC bags. You’ll learn about their pros, cons, and more. Read on.
What Is An FIBC Bag?
An FIBC bag is an industrial container to store and transport your products. FIBC bags are made from flexible woven materials (polypropylene), making transporting your products easier. Taking your products out of these bags is easier, too. You can cut it open or use a discharge spout at the bottom.
FIBC bags come in various sizes and types to suit different product requirements. They can hold various materials, from fine powders to heavy granules, and even hazardous chemicals. The bags can be customized to fit specific product dimensions, with various filling and discharge options to ensure safe and efficient transportation.
Embracing business changes, such as properly utilizing FIBC bags, may play a huge role in your business’s growth. Depending on your business needs, there are four main FIBC bag design styles to choose from:
- Baffle: This design style involves adding fabric to a four-panel or tubular bag. Incorporating these additions into a bag increases the solidity and appearance.
- Circular: Also called a tubular bag, this style doesn’t have sewn-in seams. Instead, the manufacturer cuts the materials into different heights and weaves them on a circular loom.
- U-panel: As the name suggests, these FIBC bags have a U-shaped structure. This style uses a single fabric for the two facing panels and the bottom one, boosting its strength.
- Four-panel: In this design style, the manufacturer uses four pieces of fabric that are sewn together. This creates a rectangular-shaped bag, boosting its stability.
Research to develop deeper insights into your needs. This ensures you choose the right FIBC bag for your business operations.
What Are The Pros Of FIBC Bags?
The following are the benefits of an FIBC bag:
1. Customization And Sustainability
Usually, a manufacturer will deliver standard-model bags to meet general business needs. Yet, you can customize them to meet your unique business requirements easily. Contact the manufacturer and instruct them to produce bags that align with your brand.
Besides personalization, these containers are eco-friendly. Today, more individuals have realized the need to protect their environment. Using traditional containers such as metal drums can harm the environment. But the materials used in FIBC bags can be reclaimed, making them safer for the environment.
You must ensure the materials used don’t contain traces of harmful compounds, which can damage the environment or your health. Learn about the safety of the materials used in manufacturing an FIBC bag.
2. Cost Savings
As mentioned above, these containers are made from flexible materials that can easily collapse when not in use. This collapsible nature of FIBC bags may save you a lot of warehouse space. Despite this, the bags can store and carry heavy objects while maintaining their original shape.
As the FIBC bags can handle large, heavy objects, they save you from purchasing small but many containers to store your products. These small storage boxes may leave a huge dent in your savings and can be challenging to store and manage.
3. Wide Applications
A storage unit or container with multiple applications is a cost-effective investment. Materials used in manufacturing FIBC bags are chemically inert; hence, they won’t react to most stored products.
Some of the applications of FIBC bags include:
- Agricultural products: A farmer can use these bulk bags to store different farm items. These products include the final harvest, seeds, fertilizer, and animal feeds. Properly using these packing bags will help farmers keep more yield, boost their processes, and protect the environment.
- Legal hemp products: The popularity of hemp and cannabis products has grown. Most people opt to use them to manage several health issues, including insomnia. However, it’s challenging to store cannabis products to maintain their potency.
However, many FIBC bags are ideal storage containers for hemp products. Integrating a liner into your bag can easily control oxygen in dried products, boosting their shelf life. These bags also prevent mold growth, which could expose your hemp product to harmful compounds.
- Construction materials: When constructing, a reliable material storage unit or container is a must. FIBC bags can handle heavy and enormous materials, making it easier to clean up, move the building materials, and practice environment-friendly activities.
What Are The Cons Of FIBC Bags?
The following are the challenges you might encounter with FIBC bags in your business operations:
1. Safety Concerns
Despite their benefits, FIBC bags still pose a safety concern. They can easily injure your team members if handled improperly, increasing your monthly medical bills.
However, businesses can put in place several practices to reduce the safety concerns with FIBC bags. Training your staff ensures they have enough skills before they handle your FIBC bags. This will save them from destroying your products or injuring themselves. Other safety practices include using the right bag design to store and move your products, reducing the chances of injury.
2. High Upfront Costs
Although FIBC bags may help optimize how you carry and store your business goods or materials, they can be costly. The upfront cost of FIBC bags depends on their quality, size, design, and materials. It’s important to check with multiple manufacturers to understand the average price of these containers in your locality.
As discussed above, you might have to pack and move your business goods or materials as a business owner. FIBC bags can help with this. They’ve hugely influenced how businesses move their products or construction materials. Research to ensure you choose the right bag for your business operations, improving its effectiveness.
Adobe Stock Photos