Summer Smoothies on the Suncoast
Summer here on the Suncoast can get hot and filled with so many activities that eating healthy becomes just a passing thought. We have compiled a list of quick, nutritious smoothies you can make and take along on the adventures of your summer ventures. With only a blender, personal or larger, you can make a batch of these smoothies for you and the entire family. These light, healthy and amazing options are packed with nutrients, vegetables, and fruits to keep you moving for hours without a heavy meal. Try one or all, and see which might be your favorite.
Healthy Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie
This amazing smoothie is the perfect start to any day. With greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, and makes a great on-the-go protein and nutrient-packed breakfast on the run. Change it up a bit and experiment with other fruit or flavoring combinations for breakfast or anytime throughout the day when you need a pick me up.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 3 ice cubes
- Blend blueberries, yogurt, orange juice, sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together in a blender on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to high and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add ice and blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute more.
Ultra-Creamy Avocado Smoothie
Okay, we know what you are thinking – avocado in a smoothie? Yep, and you might be pleasantly surprised. If you are an avocado fan, get all the amazing benefits of avocado in an easy to-go option for healthy eating while just kicking back here on the Suncoast this summer.
- Deselect All
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, plus more to taste
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted
- Blend the milk, sweetened condensed milk and ice in a blender until very smooth.
- Add the avocado flesh and blend again until smooth.
- The mixture will be quite thick; add cold water a few tablespoons at a time, blending after each addition, until the mixture is pourable.
- Taste and add more sweetened condensed milk if you want it sweeter.
- Serve in chilled glasses with straws.
Tropical Mango-Pineapple-Berry Smoothie
This one literally calls screams, Suncoast beaches in the Tropical name. What else could start a day at the beach or exploring one of the amazing sites here on the Suncoast than a mango, pineapple smoothie? This refreshing, healthy smoothie will put you in a staycation state of mind for the heatwave of summer here on the Suncoast.
- 1 mango – peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- Combine mango, frozen strawberries, yogurt, pineapple juice, and frozen blueberries in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
If you love the sweet, succulent taste of strawberries, this smoothie is sure to be a winner in your book. A refreshing option for any time of the day, or make a bunch of this for your next cookout or family gathering. This smoothie is sure to be loved by young and old alike for a refreshing alternative to sugary drinks this summer.
- 2 cups unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry-raspberry juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 large fresh strawberries, garnish
- Place the strawberries in the bottom of a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Add the cranberry-raspberry juice and orange juice and top with vanilla yogurt.
- Cover and immediately blend until smooth, scraping down the sides if needed.
- our into glasses and garnish each with a strawberry.
- Serve immediately.
Pineapple Turmeric Smoothie
This smoothie has some anti-inflammatory nutrients in the turmeric that helps compliment not only the sweetness of pineapple but healthy living. So whether suffering from dehydration, inflammation due to injury, or other concerns, this smoothie might be just the thing to add to your routine to add additional benefits to your summertime.
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric, grated (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (or 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend for 30 seconds on high, or until creamy.
- Frozen fruit gives the smoothie a thick texture and makes it really cool and refreshing.
Whether just trying to eat healthy, always on the run and short of time, or looking for a great alternative for summer refreshments, these smoothies must be tried to be appreciated. Of course, you can always “tweak” the recipes with your favorite fruits, seasonings, and other ingredients to make your own nutritious alternatives for heavy meals over this summer. Or really anytime, as smoothies are easy to carry and quick to make when cooking might not be an option.
Photos courtesy of Deposit Photos