Simple Salad Recipes with 5 Ingredients for the Suncoast Summers
As the summer rolls along here on the Suncoast, staying cool, refreshed, and ready for your next adventure is high on everyone’s minds. Whether taking in the beaches, attending one of a host of events, or maybe entertaining friends – there is a lot to see and do. Cooking is definitely not high on everyone’s list, as the heat can be overwhelming; besides, it takes away from all the fun you could be taking. To keep you fueled, healthy, and active this summer, we compiled a list of easy 5 ingredient salad recipes you can make this summer.
Ginger-Lime Melon Salad
Sure, a great slice of melon on a cool summer day is the perfect refreshing snack. We are fortunate to have access to many varieties of melons during the summer here on the Suncoast. So here is another great option for your favorite melons combined into a unique salad.
- 3 ½ pounds melon (such as cantaloupe, honeydew, and/or watermelon), peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime zest plus ¼ cup fresh juice (from 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (from 1 [2-in.] piece)
- Gently toss together melon, lime zest, lime juice, and ginger in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve, up to 3 hours.
Strawberry Feta Tossed Salad
We grow a lot of strawberries here on the Suncoast, making it a summertime favorite fruit. Here is a simple, healthy salad that mixes the sweetness of these red berries with greens and feta cheese. We bet this becomes an instant favorite of the summer.
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- To serve, drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to combine.
Watermelon And Cucumber Salad
Okay, now we fully understand that at first blush, this might seem an odd salad choice. However, this is a hydrating, refreshing, and amazing option that will be a surprise for your taste buds this summer.
- ½ large watermelon, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- feta cheese, to taste
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- Cut a large watermelon in half lengthwise.
- Dice half of the watermelon and save the rind for later.
- Place watermelon, cucumber, red onion, salt to taste, and balsamic vinegar into large bowl and mix together.
- Pour salad into hollowed out watermelon rind (optional).
This is a versatile salad that can be used as a side dish or even a dip. Add a touch of spice to your summer, yet in a cool salad format that is refreshing at the same time.
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans – rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can of sweet corn – drained
- 1 small tomato chopped (or 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes-halved)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl
- Season with salt/pepper if needed
- Chill for 30 minutes to let flavors develop – or can be served immediately if desired!
Kale + Cabbage Crunch
This crunchy, refreshing salad packs a nutritious punch that is sure to invigorate for your next summer outing. This is a vibrantly colored salad also that makes for a good bring-along for other parties or picnics you might attend this summer.
- 4 cups of kale leaves, stemmed cut into ribbons
- 3 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
Homemade 5-ingredient Dressing (optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salad: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss. Enjoy!!
There you have it sweet, crunchy and refreshing salads to add to your summer routine. These are nutrioutious, no-cooking needed, energizing foods that will fuel you for all the amazing adventures you can take on this summer. These are great alternatives also to the expense of eating out while on the run. Win-win as you enoy all the amazing fruits, vegetables we have access to here all year long here on the Suncoast.
Photos courtesy of Deposit Photos