Here’s How You Can Find a Decent Online Casino
Disclaimer: gambling is addictive. If you or your loved ones suffer from gambling addiction, immediately ask for help at international – BeGambleAware, GamCare, Gamblers Anonymous, etc. – or local problem gambling organizations.
The pace that online gambling has taken is just mind-boggling: currently valued at about $75 billion and accelerated by the unceasing pandemic, it’s expected to triple by the end of the decade. Homebound, millions of land-based casino regulars have no other choice but to venture into the unexplored realm of online sites. Many of them, having neither enough experience nor knowledge of the ever-changing online casinos, end up losing their money.
The good news, though, is you can learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. For that, you need to know just a few basic things that distinguish reliable casinos from untrustworthy dens. Before moving forward, though, let’s give some credit to the author of the piece, Aleksandra Maj, a gambling expert and slot aficionado from KasynoHEX. Now that there are no obligations left, let’s jump on it straight away!
From a legal perspective, the best you can do is:
- Make sure gambling is allowed in your country by either searching for it on the web, or asking the casino support team, or consulting with a local gambling attorney. About 30 countries prohibit online gambling altogether, while the same number of countries allow using local operators only.
- Make sure your casino is licensed by checking it out at the footer of the site or on the Terms & Conditions webpage.
Playing at an unlicensed casino is super-risky as in this case the owners of the site have almost unlimited power. They may disappear for good, use your personal data in their private interests, or refuse to pay your well-deserved winnings. The only exception might be no-registration casinos – these sites cannot be licensed for obvious reasons – but only if you are sure that the casino of this type is fair.
As for licensed sites like Betsson casino, the choice is staggering, and it’s just perfect since there are many other factors to take into account. Let’s not put the cart before the horse, though. There are several credible licensing bodies – the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC), the Malta Gaming Authority (MGA), the government of Curacao, the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, and a few more – but the general idea is that any license is bazillion times better than no license at all. Almost any license would do, and if several licenses are online, it’s even better.
Fairness of Random Number Generators
At the dawn of online casinos, it was almost impossible to verify their fairness, but that can easily be done now by:
- Picking a blockchain-based Provably Fair casino. With all the outcomes of games recorded in a blockchain, rigging it is out of the question. There aren’t too many Provably Fair casinos, but the segment is rising.
- Making sure the casino is certified by eCOGRA. Established in 2003, eCOGRA is the leading independent testing agency with the highest level of trust. The certified software seal issued by eCOGRA excludes the possibility of fraud.
Other certificates, awards, and accolades aren’t that important to an average casino user.
Bonuses without Exorbitant Wagering Requirements
It’s no secret that casinos lure players into spending real money by offering bonuses. That, though, is done craftily with the help of the following tricks:
- Introducing an unreasonably high wagering requirement – for example, 50x – and applying it to both the deposit, the bonus, and the winnings from the bonus.
- Hiding or fine-printing such restrictions as the maximum amount of bonus winnings, games excluded from the bonus offer, contributing percentages of the eligible games, etc.
While the b) trick is used mainly by shady casinos, which we would recommend you to steer clear of, an exorbitant wagering requirement is something you can meet even at credible sites like Slottica, Vulkan Vegas, or Energy Casino. In this case, you have three solutions:
- Try and complete the wagering if you think it’s worth it.
- Leave the casino in search of a better offer.
- Look for no-wagering bonuses, the ones available right away.
Withdrawals without Fees and Delays
Last but not least, it’s crucial to check whether you can freely withdraw in case you win money at your casino. The most important withdrawal parameters are fees, payout time, and whether you have to pass verification to be able to cash out. Top-notch casinos do not charge withdrawal fees and process payouts as fast as they can, though there might be a withdrawal delay due to the need to verify your gambling history as per the AML regulations of the jurisdiction.
Photos Courtesy of Deposit Photos