DIY Summer Beauty Treatments for Healthy Beach-Ready Looks
We love to spend our summers out at the beach, riding bikes, kayaking, live outdoor music events, boat races, and many other activities here on the Suncoast. We stay busy and want to look healthy and beautiful doing so. Dried hair, sunburned skin, and other body ailments are considered concerns associated with these outdoor activities. Here are a few ideas for do-it-yourself health and beauty items you can use to be sunkissed, gorgeous, and healthy-looking this summer.
Homemade Sunscreen Lotion Bars for Summer
If you have ever flipped your standard sunscreen bottle over and looked down the ingredients, I bet half you can’t even pronounce. The mass-produced lotions that are critical for keeping our skin from burning are filled with many chemicals. Those with sensitive skin, especially children’s delicate skin, might find this homemade sunscreen a great option.
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 5 Tbsp beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Zinc Oxide
- ½ tsp Vitamin E oil
- ¾ tsp essential oil for scenting the bar
- Homemade Lotion Bar Directions
- Combine the shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in a glass bowl placed over a hot pot of water or use a double boiler.
- Heat on low until the ingredients are melted and fully incorporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in the zinc oxide, the essential oil, and the vitamin E oil.
- Pour into silicone mold and place in the fridge to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Pop-out and store in tins or an airtight container—store at room temperature.
A Hydrating Hair Mask
Our hair is probably the hardest impacted by the summertime here on the Suncoast. From windswept days, possible rainfall, then swimming, sweating, and sun make our beautiful hair frizzy, dried, and in need of some support. Try a DIY super simple hydrating mask to revitalize your hair and get ready for your next summertime adventure.
- 4 bananas (ripe)
- 4 Tbsp. Honey
- Peel the ripe bananas, place in a large bowl, and mash until completely smooth.
- Add the honey and stir to combine.
- Apply liberally to dry hair, massaging the mask into the scalp.
- Gather hair together, put on a shower cap, and let the mask soak in for 30-45 minutes.
- Rinse hair well in the shower, shampoo carefully, then condition as normal.
Lemonade Facial Scrub
Need an amazing and hydrating facial scrub to give your skin a fresh look. We have a simple and amazing scented natural facial scrub. This scrub can help slough off dead skin cells and show a glowing amazing fresh face to the world when you next out and about.
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. cane sugar
- ½ Tbsp. water
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate for an hour to let ingredients chill and combine.
- Gently massage over face and neck in a circular motion.
- Rinse with cool water.
Exfoliating Foot Scrub
If you wear sandals, flip-flops, or other shoes out for the summer fun, you know that your skin can take a beating. If you want to help get rid of the dry skin patches and give your feet a refreshing break, this exfoliating foot scrub might be a great option.
- Oil – you can choose whichever oil will work best for your skin
- Sugar (can sugar is the best option)
- Epsom Salt
- In a bowl, mix Epsom salt, sugar, and oil.
- Mix together.
- Add essential oils, and if it is a little dry, add a touch more carrier oil.
- Stir to combine.
- Wet feet.
- Apply a tablespoon of foot scrub onto hands, and massage into feet.
- Dry off feet and apply lotion if desired.
Summer Sun-kissed Cinnamon Lip Scrub
Wind, water, and the sun will wreak havoc on your lips this summer. This recipe will work to make your lips plumper, fuller lips with a soft suppleness to counter the effects of summer. So be sure your lips are selfie-ready and healthy for the summer adventures you wish to undertake.
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- Combine all ingredients and use as a scrub.
- Store in an airtight container when not in use.
There you have recipes for scrubbing your skin, plumping up your lips, and protecting your hair this summer. These recipes all feature natural ingredients, which you can mix and use at your discretion at the end of a long day out at the beach with family or friends. So as we all get out and enjoy the sites, beaches, and activities we love here on the Suncoast, do it looking fabulous and feeling amazing this summer.
Photos courtesy of Deposit Photos