Books to Read to Kick off your New Year Reading List Here on the Suncoast
Are you a die-hard book lover? Or maybe with Covid and some of the isolation, you have just found yourself starting to pick up the habit again. Maybe in, 2022 you just decided to enjoy a few more books to help expand your skills, imagination, and talking points with friends. No matter the reason, you are probably facing a mountain of choices from self-help to science fiction and a thousand genres, tropes, and niches in between. We decided to help and, in some key areas, help point you toward the top five books you should have on your reading list.
Best Action – Adventure Novels
This list was presented by Goodreads based on the number of reviews and ratings on that site for all time.
- Jurassic Park. Michael Crichton
- The Hobbit. J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Hunger Games. Suzanne Collins
- The Fellowship of the Ring. J.R.R. Tolkien
- The DaVinci Code. Robert Landgon
Best Books 2021
Talk District provided this list without regard to the genre as their picks for this past year.
- The Goldfinch. Donna Tart
- Joy at Work. Marie Kondo
- Salt Fat Acid Heat. Samin Nosrat
- Where the Crawdads Sing. Delia Owens
- The Gift of Forgiveness. Katherine Pratt
Informative and Eye Opening
This list was presented by Jason Child, the Chief Financial Officer of Splunk.
- The Art of the Impossible: A Peak Performance Primer. Steven Kotler
- Noise: A Flaw in Human Judgment. Daniel Kahneman, Olivier Sibony and Cass R. Sunstein
- Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don’t Know. Adam Grant
- Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon. Bill Carr and Colin Bryar
- The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race. Walter Isaacson
Best Science Fiction of 2020
Goodreads provided this list of nominees and winners based on their Choice Awards voting for 2020.
- To Sleep in a Sea of Stars. Christopher Paolini
- Harrow the Ninth. Tamsyn Muir
- Network Effect. Martha Wells
- The Space Between Worlds. Micaiah Johnson.
- Axiom’s End. Lindsay Ellis
Greatest of all Time
This came from the Greatest Books website list of the best books of all time, but we will let you decide.
- Anna Karenina. Leo Tolstoy
- Madam Bovary. Gustave Flaubert
- War and Peace. Leo Tolstoy
- The Great Gatsby. F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Lolita. Vladimir Nobkov
How many of those did you already read? Were any on your list of want to read? Or did we just light up your electronic device with a bunch of downloadable book options? Hopefully, in 2022 even if you can’t get out and travel as much as you would like, a good book can help pass the time. Oh, the things you can learn, the perspective you can gain, and the places you can see are endless in the paces of screenshots of a great book.
Happy reading, Suncoast!
Feature photo courtesy of Deposit Photos