Sarasota Police Department News Release
Bernadette DiPino Chief of Police
Contact: Genevieve Judge Partnership Policing Communications Coordinator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Road Closures, Traffic Restrictions & Safety Reminders for July 3, 2014 – July 6, 2014
SARASOTA, Fla. – June 25, 2014 – 11 a.m.
The 4th of July holiday is around the corner but planning a safe celebration for you, your family and friends is well underway. The Sarasota Police Department wants you to enjoy the holiday safely and as always, we encourage citizens and residents, if you see something, say something. Please report any suspicious activity or behavior to law enforcement immediately.
The Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix is a big part of the festivities each year and the Sarasota Police Department is committed to keeping, you, our residents, safe during this exciting and memorable time.
There will be NO PARKING allowed on the Bayfront on south end of Island Park, between Ringling Blvd south to Selby Gardens property line, during the fireworks display on 4th of July. This is a designated pedestrian viewing area only, no vehicles will be allowed to park on the grass in this area.
On July 3rd during the Festival Parade of Power Boats, the public consumption of alcohol is restricted to the area of the 1400-1500 blocks of Main Street and only during the “Power Boats by the Bay” downtown block party hours of 5:00 p.m. until Midnight. Outside this designated area you must be seated at one of the several restaurants licensed to serve alcohol outdoors. Carrying an open container of alcohol in public inside the city limits is in violation of City of Sarasota City Ordinance 5-21. You can be cited to appear in court or be subject to arrest at the time this violation occurs.
Have a Designated Driver
If you are planning to enjoy alcohol during the holiday weekend, please have a plan in place to get home safely and have a designated driver. BeMyDD offers two services: Designated Driver and a Pick Up Service. With the Designed Driver, you can reserve a driver for the day or evening for $16 per hour. The Pick Up Service has a sober driver pick up you and your car and take you back home. The cost for this service is $25 for a pick up fee plus mileage. Learn more at www.bemydd.com
AAA Tow To Go:
AAA Tow to Go Program is also offered to make sure those celebrating the holiday get home safely. The confidential, free, local ride is within a 10-mile radius to a safe location. This will be offered July 4, 2014 through 6 a.m. on July 7, 2014. In Florida, Georgia or Tennessee, call 1-855-TOW-2-GO (1-855-286-9246).
The Sarasota Police Department is encouraging spectators to leave their pets at home. Last year, several animals were lost due to getting spooked during the festivities. The holiday celebrations and parties bring street closures and traffic restrictions during the festivities:
THURSDAY, JULY 3, 2014 – POWER BOATS BY THE BAY SET UP
Van Wezel Parking Lot CLOSED 7 a.m. July 3rd – 12:30 a.m. July 7th
THURSDAY, JULY 3, 2014 – BOAT PARADE & STAGING AREA CLOSURES
1 p.m. – Midnight Lemon Avenue: First Street to State Street 2 p.m. – 9 p.m. East Avenue: Main Street to Fruitville Road 2 p.m. – 9 p.m. Wallace Avenue: Main Street to Fruitville Road 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. Main Street: US 301 to School Avenue 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Main Street: Pineapple to GulfStream Avenue 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Main Street: US 301 to Orange Avenue 6 p.m. – Midnight Main Street: Orange Avenue to Central Avenue
FRIDAY, JULY 4, 2014 – FIREWORKS- ROAD CLOSURES/LIMITED PARKING:
• Bayfront Drive (US 41), from Gulfstream Avenue to Orange Avenue will close at 7:00 p.m. and will remain closed until approximately 10:00 p.m.
• Parking Lot at Bayfront Park/ Island Park will be closed when the parking lot has reached maximum capacity. No parking will be permitted on the grass area south end of bayfront.
• Palm Avenue Garage – located on Palm Avenue, between Main Street and Cocoanut Avenue, 700 free parking spaces. Expect delays when exiting due to heavy traffic.
• NOTE: Vehicle Traffic leaving the Bayfront/ Downtown area following the July 4th Fireworks will be subject to certain restricted traffic control measures as part of a comprehensive exit plan. Expect long traffic delays of up to one hour upon exit from the event area.
FRIDAY, JULY 4, 2014 – Centennial Park / Boat Ramp CLOSED
Friday, July 4, 2014 at 11 p.m. through Sunday, July 6, 2014, at 6:00 p.m.
• This area will be utilized as the staging area for the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix race boats
• Van Wezel Parking Lot – Entry by Permit Only – Boats on the Bay set-up period begins
• No personal watercrafts can be launch from this boat ramp during this period. A suggested alternative boat ramp for use during this period is located in Ken Thompson Park next to Mote Marine Laboratory, on City Island.
SATURDAY, JULY 5, 2014 – POWER BOATS BY THE BAY 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
• 10th Street and N. Tamiami Trail entry to the Van Wezel and Centennial Park is CLOSED to all traffic (open to pedestrian traffic from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 5th)
• Van Wezel Way at Plaza Del Santo Domingo is closed – restricted entry for race participants, vendors, and sponsors. Vehicle issued entry pass required or entry denied.
SATURDAY, JULY 5, 2014 – SOUTH LIDO PARKING LOT CLOSURE
This is for the Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix
Parking Lot closes at 10 p.m. on July 5, 2014 and reopens at 6 p.m. July 6, 2014
SUNDAY, JULY 6, 2014:
• Due to limited parking spaces, it is highly recommended to carpool.
• Illegal Parking/Blocked driveways: Illegally parked vehicles are subjected to ticketing. Vehicles blocking private driveways are subjected to towing.
• Anticipate long delays from the beach area at the conclusion of the race. Expect an exit time in excess of one hour when leaving the beach viewing area.
• Officers and deputies will be on high alert for DUI drivers. Use a designated driver and report all suspected drivers driving under the influence to a law enforcement officer.
Sarasota Police Department The Sarasota Police Department utilizes a proactive, intelligence led law enforcement strategy to prevent and reduce crime. Our mission: Professional, dedicated police service in partnership with our community. For more information about our department, visit www.sarasotapd.org