April 11th National Pet Day – Celebrating Pets of All Shapes and Sizes on the Suncoast
Celebrated annually on April 11th, National Pet Day is an unofficial holiday that encourages all of us to pay our pets some extra attention. It is also a day to commemorate everything our pets do for us daily. So if you have a pet, you can do something special for them on this day by taking them for a long walk, buying them a special treat, or maybe, just spending a little bit of extra time with them. After all, don’t they deserve it?
What can you do today to make your pet feel just a touch more special than normal, or get into the spirit of this celebration?
- Buy your pet a new toy or treat
- Take pictures of your pet
- Share photos of your pets via social media using the hashtag #NationalPetDay.
- Adopt a pet from your local shelter
- Donate money, food, toys, and blankets to an animal welfare organization
- Throw an awesome National Pet Day party for your pets
- Help someone who needs it buy pet food or other items for their pets
- Help organize against puppy and kitten mills
- Volunteer at a local shelter
National Pet Day Ideas
While we try to appreciate our pets every day, on this one day, let’s truly make it all about them. What if you don’t have a fur baby or other pet to celebrate with? Well, Suncoast has a bunch of amazing organizations that help protect and adopt pets of various kinds. Whether adoption is on your heart, volunteering somehow, or maybe just a quick donation – these organizations always love to support animals here on the Suncoast.
One thing to remember is our pets and those in shelters need our attention. I was recently out of town for an extended period of time and came home to snuggles and kisses that made my entire day. Sometimes just knowing they are waiting at home or those wet noses jumping up to kiss us are all we need to make our entire day joyful again. Our pets bring so much to our lives and bring happiness to our lives every day this one day; try to find just one extra special way to remember them.
Happy National Pet Day, Suncoast – here’s to all the furry, slimy, crawling, jumping, and slithery friends that make our world better every day!
Photos Courtesy of Angela Naff/Sande Caplin