Behind the scenes and in artists’ studios from Venice to Anna Maria Island, preparations are underway to reopen Art Uptown, Sarasota’s iconic Main Street gallery, on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. Now observing its 40th anniversary year, the gallery’s carefully crafted business approach maintains the safety of visitors and staff, while offering an opportunity to see exciting two- and three-dimensional work by the gallery’s 26 acclaimed regional artists.
There’s been a beehive of creative activity during the past two months and now the gallery’s artists and staff look forward to sharing the artistic diversity. Liz Cole, Art Uptown’s president, says, “Our gallery holds a special place in the community – just this year Sarasota Herald Tribune readers once again voted Art Uptown ‘Sarasota’s Favorite Art Gallery for 2020’. We are committed to bringing collectors and visitors a memorable visual experience when, starting June 2 at 11 am, they walk through our open doors.”
Joan Libby Hawk, a contemporary clay artist, expresses the feeling and excitement of all Art Uptown’s celebrated artists. “We continue to create, go to our studios, work like crazy. But, at the end of the day, our accomplishments require other people to look, question and perhaps fall in love with our painting, sculpture, fiber art, jewelry, glass and ceramics—all of which visitors can see and purchase at the gallery. We’re all so eager to re-enter the community, using best practices to keep everyone safe.”
Art Uptown’s hours are Tuesday through Friday, 11am to 5 pm, and Saturday, 11am to 3 pm. Additionally, private appointments can be arranged by calling 941.955.5409.
Art Uptown’s Commitment to Visitor and Staff Safety
- Please wear a mask and keep a distance of 6 feet from others. Use available hand sanitizer before touching anything in the gallery.
- Guests are limited to no more than 8 people at any time; if your party will bring the total number of visitors to more than 8, please wait until someone leaves before entering.
- When purchasing, Art Uptown staff will guide customers to maintain social distancing.
- Wear masks at all times when working with customers.
- Frequently sanitize surfaces.
- Maintain safe numbers and social distancing within the gallery at all times.
About Art Uptown
Established in 1980, Art Uptown is celebrating 40 years of offering Sarasota art collectors a constantly changing collection of fine art in a friendly, relaxed setting on Sarasota’s Main Street. A highly selective group of area artists present diverse work in both 2D and 3D mediums. For the past two years, Art Uptown has been chosen as Sarasota’s favorite art gallery by the readers of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
Art Uptown Gallery
1367 Main St, Sarasota, FL 34236
Photos from Art Uptown Gallery.